Trusts and asset planning
PROTECT YOUR WEALTH
Protecting the things you and your family have worked hard for is important. Trusts are an excellent tool for protecting your assets and ensuring they pass on to the right people. In some situations, they may also help you to manage your tax obligations. However, it’s important to set them up and administer them correctly to ensure you achieve what you set out to.
Our trusts and asset planning team are experts with many years of specialist experience. We can help you set up and administer your trust to best fit your unique situation, or wind up your existing trust if it is no longer fit for purpose.
If you’d like to find out more about whether a trust could be right for you, your family or your business, please give us a call.
Is your trust working for you?
Setting up a trust
A trust is an excellent tool for managing your assets. A trust can
- protect personal assets from business risk
- be more tax efficient
- protect assets from relationship property and Family Protection Act claims
- ensure a child keeps their inheritance
- protect assets for future generations
- provide flexibility for your estate planning needs, and
- manage assets for blended families.
If you’re thinking about succession planning, what happens to your assets when you pass away, or protecting assets for future generations, it’s a good time to think about whether a trust would help you meet your objectives.
Trusts are not “one and done”. There are certain things that need to be done on a regular basis, or when laws change, to keep your trust current and compliant. Our trust administration team can help you keep on top of those tasks and ensure your trust is doing what it is meant to, in the way it is meant to.
Winding up a trust
If your trust is no longer fit for purpose, or it has achieved its objective, it may no longer be needed. Our team can help you through the process of winding up the trust and redistributing any assets to the appropriate parties.
Our Trusts Team
- Tania Beckham Director Trusts & Asset Planning Team Leader | Whangarei Tania has a strong general commercial practice, with particular expertise in trusts and asset planning. Contact
- Neil McNab Managing Director Whangarei Neil has many years of experience in the specialised areas of trusts and asset planning, and is one of WRMK’s Managing Directors. Contact
- Megan Bawden Director Life Planning Team Leader | Whangarei Megan leads WRMK’s estates and life planning team, with particular expertise in wills, enduring powers of attorney, estates, health and elder law. Contact
- Rebecca Merry Director Rural Team Leader | Whangarei, Dargaville Rebecca leads our rural law team and is also active in our trust team. Contact
- Patrick Steuart Director Warkworth Patrick leads our Warkworth team, and is known as a trusted advisor to his clients. Contact
- Barbara Beck Consultant Whangarei Barbara has a strong business practice including particular interest in intellectual property. Contact
- Vanessa Crosby Consultant Whangarei Vanessa has a wide ranging practice including estate planning, trusts and property, with particular expertise in subdivisions. Contact
- Andrew Easterbrook Associate Whangarei Andrew has over ten years’ experience as a lawyer, and specialises in relationship property, private wealth, estates, and information technology and privacy law. Contact
- Alice Chapman Senior Lawyer Whangarei Alice is a member of our rural law team, with particular expertise in asset planning and rural matters. Contact
- Heidi Mackey Senior Lawyer Whangarei Heidi is an experienced lawyer specialising in trusts and life planning. Contact
- Julia Ingham (Lockwood) Senior Lawyer Warkworth Julia helps clients from Warkworth to Mangawhai on a wide range of matters including property, trusts and commercial law. Contact
- Chloe Davenport Lawyer Kerikeri Chloe has a broad background in the law and is a Kerikeri local. As a member of our trusts, life planning and property teams, she helps clients with a wide variety of matters. Contact
- Natalie Robinson Lawyer Dargaville, Whangarei Natalie is a Dargaville local, where she now has a broad practice, helping clients with everything from conveyancing to wills and estate matters. Contact
- Vicki Saunders Legal Executive Warkworth Vicki assists our Warkworth team in a variety of legal executive roles. Contact
Check out our lastest Trusts service blog posts
Questions? Comments? Please feel free to get in touch & let us impress you with what we have to offer